Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A change of plans...

I am not the kind to use my blog as a place to share personal stories and tell of my inner most feelings, but many people have asked and are wondering what we are doing now. There have also been rumors around Aberdeen that Angie is moving back to town, etc. So to set things straight, I thought I would fill you in...

Back in July my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer that had spread to her liver, bones, and a little bit on her lungs. As you can imagine the news was a shock and a devastation to our family, especially since we didn't know a lot at first. I was planning on teaching 5th grade in Rigby again the following school year, and Marc had just graduated and was doing an internship that would end in August. When seeing my mom in such a sickly state and realizing that dad would be starting harvest soon, I felt a strong obligation to be available to help my mom. Knowing that I was the only child in the position to help, since I don't have kids, I decided to quit my job as a teacher to be able to help mom and the family.

I wasn't sure how it was going to work, but just felt like this is what I needed to do. I worried what people would think since logically it was a pretty dumb thing to do...quitting my job when my husbands internship would be ending soon. For the most part people were nice about it or at least acted like they understood. When Whitney started school and Marc's internship ended we moved in with my parents and Marc started working for my dad until he found something else. We were a little worried not really knowing what the future had in store for us, and not really having any plans after harvest was over. We knew that with this ecomony jobs were going to be hard to come by. So we just prayed extra hard and had faith something would work out.

A few weeks after doing this a great job opened up in Aberdeen. It was through a produce company called L&M Companies out of Raleigh, North Carolina but it is based at Pleasant Valley Potato in Aberdeen. Marc got the job so we fixed up one of dad's farm houses and moved to Aberdeen. For those of you who don't know much about Aberdeen, unless your going to be a farmer, good jobs are hard to come by. Also I am taking over my mom's job of doing the books for Chandler and Angie's business, something I can always do from home. I never dreamed I would be back in Aberdeen, but I am so grateful I can be close to my mom during this time.

When I think back about how hard it was to take a step in the dark and trust that we were doing the right thing, I realize how much the Lord had a hand in how things worked out. I have learned a lot about trusting in the Lord and having courage through hard times. Mom continues to improve and I can't help but be completely grateful for how blessed we have been.

9 comments:

Chandler and Angie said...

So grateful for you guys and the chances you took to help mom, We love you!

The Richards said...

It is amazing how the Lord works. Everything always seems to work out. We're so happy for you two!

Our Little Family said...

It is hard to make a decision not knowing how it will all work out in the end. I agree with you that the Lord has a hand in all things. I think that it is great that you were able to help out your mom. I know it has been a rough time for your family and all of you are always in my prayers.

Sharee said...

Oh my gosh! I had no idea all that was going on with your family. Your mom is the sweetest lady in the world, it brought tears to my eyes to hear of her illness. I can only imagine how hard something like that must be for your family. I am so glad that you are able to be close and help your mom. I know that you guys will be blessed for your willingness to serve your family. I hope for the best in your mom's situation, she will be in my prayers.

Brianna Tuckett said...

I am sooo glad that things worked out for you guys. That is such a blessing to find a job. The Lord truly is aware of us and what we need.

Connie said...

I felt the same thing... that I needed Hailey, and it just seemed like the right thing. God moves in mysterious ways. Thank you Marc, for your willingness and wisdom. I hope you'll grow to love Aberdeen like I do. I feel calm with all the support and know that everything will work out, the way it's supposed to. Kim and I are overwhelmed at the love we've received...thank you! I'm a tough bird...so between that, and a marvelous family, I think I'm gonna be around awhile...things are looking up!
Love you all!

The Nicolaysens said...

Great post. Isn't it amazing what you can do when you trust in the Lord ? I'm glad I was able to see you last Saturday, it was great to be able to catch up :)

Brittany said...

I think that was really awesome of you to do that. Takes a lot of faith moving, but not really knowing what's going to happen. Glad things have worked out though. It's so great to see you more often too!

Luke and Lindsy said...

Haley, I had no idea that's why you guys moved. The two of you have been on my mind the last few days I hope everything is ok. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Talk to you soon!

The Wilsons
lukeandlindsywilson.blogspot.com