Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hunstman Hometown Heroes

Last weekend I ran in the Salt Lake City 5K...it was all started by my sister Angie (most things in the family are started by her).  Ang decided awhile back to run in the Salt Lake City half marathon, and decided to run with the Huntsman Hometown Heroes team and raise money for cancer in support of mom. 
(we kinda look like twinners in this picture...I promise the black headband thing wasn't planned)
Angie did an awesome job and beat her personal best by a long way...she finished in 2 hours and 9 minutes...is this the same sister I ran with in high school?

Of course Mr. Competitive Tanner decided he couldn't let his sister show him up so he also decided to do the half marathon.  He hardly even trained and got a great time of 1 hour and 41 minutes and finished in the top 20% of all men...he impressed us all.

My dad's sisters also decided to do the half marathon, and my mom's sister did the 5K.  Three of them traveled from California!

Mom with her sister Aunt Deb
Aunt Sue, Aunt Jan, Angie, Aunt Wendy, Tanner, Misti, Abbie (Abbie and Misit ran for Alpha I, a liver disease that Misti's kids have)

My friend Heather's mom was diagnosed with cancer a few months before my mom, so Heather and her husband also did the 5K.  I was planning on running with her and told her I would meet her at the starting line...I had no idea there would be thousands of runners.  I didn't have my phone on me so we couldn't find eachother to meet (hence the wedding pic)... I am so sad I didn't get to see her.

Mom with all of her children minus Garrett, Jill and Shannon also did the 5K


In all we raised about $2500 for cancer research.  All of the people that ran with Huntsman rasied a total of $100,000.   I pray every night that the people researching this horrible disease can be inspired and open minded about new treatments...we love our Mom and want her around as long as possible.  I am not much of a runner, but it was fun running for a cause.  Thanks Ang for encouraging us all... half marathon here I come!

6 comments:

Brianna Tuckett said...

Good Job Hailey!! I hope your Mom is doing ok and wins her fight with cancer!

Chandler and Angie said...

Good Job Boog,I'm especially glad you posted for the world to see that you are doing a half marathon. Training starts in June!

The Nicolaysens said...

I ran that 5K last year. If I wasn't 8 months pregnant and out of town that weekend I would have loved to run it for cancer research and for your mom. Congrats on doing the 5K.

Our Little Family said...

Way to go, Hailey! I think that is such a neat thing to do! You guys are all so awesome and your mom looks great!

Sharee said...

Sweet story! Way to go Angie for inspiring so many people to join in the cause. Way to go Hailey for doing the work that comes with a marathon. Best of luck, keep me posted.

Vollmer Family said...

I found your blog hailey :) I really wish I would have ran the 5K with you. If your family is still planning on it next year, count the Driscoll Sisters in!