
On November 23, 2010 I lost one my very best friends, my mom. On July 15, 2009 I had just left work to go to lunch and got the phone call from my dad that mom wasn't doing well and that they had found cancer in her liver. I immediately pulled over and broke into tears, called Marc and then each of my sisters. We didn't know much then, but I knew my life would never be the same. I immediately went to the hospital to see her when she got out of her biopsy. We hugged and balled for several days, and I made her promise she would do everything she could to fight this because I knew life without her would be unbearable. She was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer and the next 16 months had it ups and downs. Mom did everything she could, and went through some very hard chemo and many days in bed so that she could buy some time with her family.
Thanks to my amazing husband, I had the opportunity to be with my mom almost everyday since she was diagnosed. I will never forget that time spent with my mom, and will cherish it forever. Mom and I have always been close, but the last year of her life we became incredibly close. We talked about anything and everything. Mom understood me, and I understood her...we were a lot alike. I talked to her about death and life without her, and she would always just reassure me that everything would be okay. She had an amazing amount of faith and never once complained about her situation. She was worried about leaving her kids behind and was sad about missing important events in our lives. She never let the worrying go too far though, because she had complete trust in the Lord and knew that it was in his hands.
At the beginning of November we were told that mom had 3-6 months left, but things got worse fast and on November 15th, we were told she had two to four weeks. I spent every second that I could with her in her last week. I laid by her in bed and held her hand, and had our last few meaningful conversations and some good laughs. On Monday night my little brother flew in from his mission in Arizona and we had one last night together as a family. We each had the opportunity to say our goodbyes to mom, and even though she hadn't been coherent for nearly 24 hours, she used every bit of energy she had to tell me she loved me one last time.
We have been surrounded by so many great friends and family who have lightened the burden. I have been overwhelmed at seeing the love and support from so many people. At one point I think we had about 20 loaves of homemade bread in our freezer, along with many meals and an amazing amount of cards and flowers. Although it has been extremely hard losing my mom younger than expected, and I know there are still hard times ahead, it has been amazing to feel the comfort of the Holy Ghost in those hard times. I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have of the gospel. Mom's love for the Lord has blessed the lives of many including mine. I miss that lady more than ever, but know I will be with her again. Love you Mom!


20 comments:
Hailey, I'm so sorry about your mom. That is heartbreaking. Hope you are doing well! We drove up to Rexburg the other day, and whenever we drive by Rigby I always think of you!
Hailey, your blog is a beautiful tribute to your mom. It touched my heart. She did a marvelous job raising her children. I know she will be close by, watching over all of you now. You will always be surrounded by her love.
Cheri Zinzer
Hailey I am so sorry for the loss of your mom. Although I knew of this I was still brought to tears reading your post. I can only imagine how hard it must be. You are a very strong individual and we love you and Marc. Love, Andrea
so sorry you lost your mom, hailey. you are so lucky to have had such a wonderful mom in your life and such a close family. i wish you all well in adjusting to life without her. God bless you! love, kira
Hailey, that was a beautiful post. I cried while I read it. You are such a great example of faith and love to me. I love your mom.
That was a beautiful post. I cried pretty hard while reading it. She sounded like a wonderful woman. You have a great family! We love and are thinking about you and Marc!
Love, Cindy
Oh Hailey, how we love you and your family. Your mom is an amazing woman and will do much good where she is now. You sure are such a special lady; Marcus is one lucky man. :)
Hailey, what a beautiful tribute to your mom. We love you and are so glad that you married Marc and joined our family.
Love, Teresa
What a remarkable and beautiful person your mom was, Hailey! We see where you get it from. We are so touched that you were able to share this tribute to your Mom. We were moved to tears. We sure do love you and Marc and think of you often.
Hailey I am so sorry to hear about your Mom! Your beautiful post brought tears to my eyes! I can't imagine what you are going through right now, but I am so glad to hear that the people around you are helping and that the Lord is sending you the comfort and strength that you need. You and your family will contiue to be in my thoughts and prayers!!
What a beautiful tribute to your mom. I am sure that it was difficult to share your feelings, but I am so glad that you did. This post brought me to tears. Your mom was such a great example of Christ like love and service. She has definitely passed on those attributes to her children. You guys are all amazing! I think about you every day! I love you guys!
- Ashley
Hailey, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. This post is a beautiful tribute to her and really touched me. You are always in our thoughts and prayers!
My eyes were welling up with tears as I read this. I too am close with my mom and just can't bear even the thought of losing her. I'm so grateful for the knowledge that families can be together forever.
You have the most amazing family and I love you all. I am so sorry for your loss. I know your mom was so grateful for you and the tender care you gave her.
What a sweet, sweet post. I am in tears just reading it. Your mom was great. I think of you guys often and I hope you are doing okay.
Really sweet post! It brought tears to my eye, she was truely an amazing lady! I think about your wonderful family often.
You've evoked a lot of emotion from me while reading this post. Your relationship with your mom is so special. I'm so glad you were able to celebrate her 54th birthday together.
The holidays were so hard. The feelings of loss were so raw again. I couldn't wait to put take the Christmas tree down and finish the holidays.
Thinking of you. Take care! love, Sarah
Beautifully said. I am so grateful for the opportunity that I had to get to know your amazing mother. I am glad that you were able to spend so much time together.
Hailey!! I love you and your family so much! What a special family and mom that will always be remembered:) That made me cry.. I'm so happy you are expecting what a beautiful thing for you!
Hailey!! I love you and your family so much! It made me cry.. Your mom really is a ledgend in my eyes and many others! Congrats on the baby can't wait to see him/her:)
Post a Comment